Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Activating the Activist

Early in our careers, many of us in the field of natural resources have grand thoughts of sliding into our dream job. We imagine ourselves working somewhere secluded in the landscape without having to interact with anyone. Many of us aren’t people persons anyway. Hell, we often identify more closely to our work than the people with whom we choose interact. Some biologists actually start looking like their focal species after a while. I sure hope that I don’t look like a bat these days. What I can say with certainty, however, is that I would have never imagined that I would have become an activist.

Logic dictates that staying politically neutral will prevent a biased perspective. Anyway, the notion of getting involved in politics is rather unappealing for most of us scientists who are entrenched in the physical and natural world. Studying and influencing policy is an uninteresting and foreign realm for us nerdy types, perhaps downright scary. Being an introvert myself – well maybe and outgoing introvert, so I was told – I dreaded having to study policy and human dimensions in school. I just wanted to do science and not have to interact with people. I was fortunate, however, to study under some darn good professors. I learned that doing science is good but what makes a great scientist is the ability to communicate with people – the general public – and guide our policy makers.

Sound management of our country and our world involves guidance from science. For without science, we will make decisions in the absence of fact. Crafting law and the policy to carry out the law by pure want and desire is foolhardy. Economic and civil sustainability cannot happen without environmental sustainability. My argument can be viewed the other way around but science is still needed for us to prosper.

Why will I participate in the March for Science?

  • ·       Promote science-based policy making
  • ·       Secure the freedom of scientists to communicate their findings
  • ·       Promote environmental sustainability over profit
  • ·       Encourage government funding of research and the communication of its findings
  • ·       Secure public access to taxpayer-funded research without filter
  • ·       Protest the anti-science stance of the current administration
  • ·       Protest the federal government hiring freeze
  • ·       Protest the gag order placed on our government agencies


Our country has increasingly become politically polarized. Alternative facts and filters can be found on both sides of the political spectrum. The current administration, however, has clearly enacted an anti-science policy. Reversing previous science-based policies and taking this anti-science direction will erode the security, advancement, and sustainability of our country and world. Furthermore, other initiatives of the current administration have ignored consequence. For example, walls and pipelines have environmental impacts; circumventing environmental reviews of manufacturing and infrastructure jeopardize the health of people and the ecosystem; impeding civil liberties and the immigration of upstanding people will decrease the pool of available scientists and other valuable members of this country.

What would you stand up for?










Michael Antonishak is a recent graduate of Penn State University who has studied Wildlife & Fisheries Science and Forest Ecosystems. Although he is a self-described generalist, recently, he is having a love affair with Chiroptera. When he isn’t chasing bats through the swamps of Congaree National Park, he is sipping cappuccino and writing blog posts.

9 comments:

  1. Hi Michel - Thank you for your post! When I started teaching policy three years ago, I certainly did not think I would be taking law classes in order to further my career. I appreciate your recognition for both sides of the argument. You ask, what do I stand for? I will stand for science communication. Many of my students want to do environmental education and I believe this is the most important form of science communication. We will change the world by showing young (and old) minds the awesomeness of the natural world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Mike! I have also had an ambivalent relationship with "the 'p' word." In high school, I served on the Pennsylvania Governor's Youth Council for Hunting, Fishing, and Conservation. It gave me my first real look into the ins and outs of how policy is made in PA. Understanding the process is the first step in becoming an activist. While on the council, I visited elected officials in both Harrisburg and D.C. to discuss issues effecting sportsmen. Its certainly intimidating in person (especially as a high school student), but it does make a difference. Senators and Representatives work for YOU, and it is up to us to let them know what our values are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice post Michel. It's extremely important to let the government know what our values are in the field of natural resources. The most important thing in the field of natural resources is the ability to communicate to the general public and others. If we don't communicate with them, than no one gets to know what our values are and what we stand for.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Michael. I think it is very important for scientists to be able to communicate their findings to the public without a filter being put on their research. Most scientific findings do impact the public in some way and I believe that the public should have the right to know. The anti-science stance of our current administration is kind of frightening. They make up "alternative facts" as they go. I think that's why it's very important to fact check before you come to a conclusion

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Michael. I completely agree that anymore things can be geared more to political decisions then going by the science. When it comes to decisions being made that could possibly affect our environment, that should be taken into consideration. Science and just the actual facts is what should be paid very close attention to when making political choices on our environment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post!
    I am so passionate about educating others on environmental issues and opinions. Knowledge is such a huge power that can truly save people's minds and our wildlife.
    I love your comment: "For without science, we will make decisions in the absence of fact." I have always said the world is based on opinion!
    I also agree that reversing policies, putting filters on scientific data, and ignoring consequences are the ingredients to disaster. If activists such as yourself could swarm the news more than Trump's comb-over, I feel that society would start to make positive changes on their own. Our world is beautiful, and shouldn't have a filter.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Micheal, great post. Science is what drives us. Completing more research, finding more discoveries and answering more questions is what science is all about. Science is very important. I stand with research and conservation through research and management. The government can't afford to fund all research projects unfortunately to say, keep that in mind. Politics need to step away from wildlife conservation.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post Michael!
    I completely agree with you about science! It is such a huge part of many people's lives, including mine. I love to educate other people about science and wildlife, things I am so passionate about. Before I started school I hated to talk to people and communicate with people I didn't know. Like you said, I didn't want to interact with people, I just wanted to keep to myself and do my work. But now, I look forward to talking to people and educating them more about something they didn't know a lot about, especially wildlife related.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Michael, thank you for participating in our Fort242 blogs, your insight means a lot to us. Being a scientist, would defiantly make it harder to get involved in politics, going from facts to opinions. Dealing with the public is a large part of what we will do, I know that. But what I didn’t know was the other hand of that, dealing with the policies, and having to work with laws that could sometimes be difficult.

    ReplyDelete