Wednesday, April 26, 2017


Chronic Lyme Disease – Fact or Fiction?

 

Blood sucking, disease carrying, widely distributed arthropod. What is the first thing that comes to your mind when reading those terms? TICKS. Ticks are an increasing threat to both humans and animals, regardless of one’s location across the United States. However, Pennsylvania is the leader in confirmed cases of a particular tick-borne disease and the vector of this disease has been found in all of PA’s 67 counties (PA DOH 2017).

 

Lyme Disease, transmitted by deer ticks, is the culprit to the shocking statistics sweeping over the state. In 2016, Pennsylvania reported 12,092 cases of this disease; a staggering increase from the 9,000 reported cases in 2015 (Schmitt 2016). Dr. Richard Horowitz believes global warming changes could explain the spike in Lyme Disease cases (FNH 2016). The need for insect repellents and pesticides are typically pushed off until the early summer months; however, without long, freezing temperatures, deer tick nymphs are able to survive the winter months and emerge earlier than unsuspecting residents would think. This is another contributing factor to the increase in this potentially chronic disease and imperative reasons why you should care and take action.

 

Lyme Disease has the ability to cause a slew of symptoms in its host that are often misdiagnosed as other viruses. The host could feel flu-like symptoms, extreme fatigue, joint and muscle pain/swelling, fever, headaches, and so on. Interestingly, fifty percent of patients do not present with a bullseye rash and some may not even remember having a tick, making it a difficult diagnosis. Without proper treatment, Lyme Disease may cause more severe issues in main organs, such as the brain and heart (LDAER 2017). However, there is debate amongst physicians as to whether or not Lyme Disease can be classified as a chronic condition. There are two sets of guidelines used to diagnose and treat this disease that differ from one another. One guideline is from the Infectious Disease Society of America, and the other is from the International Lyme and Associated Disease Society. One guideline states the blood tests performed to aid in the diagnosis of Lyme are reliable and that the disease can be cured within 30 days via intensive antibiotic therapy, while the other guideline reflects the opposite findings (FNH 2016). Physicians caught in the middle must make the crucial decision whether or not to test and treat the patient with the suspecting symptoms of Lymes.



As a patient who did not present with a rash or recall having a tick, I still tested positive for Lyme Disease over a year ago. Without the crucial findings most patients notice, I was not able to get immediate treatment and have been fighting my own symptoms of chronic Lyme Disease, including flares of flu-like symptoms, debilitating fatigue, nerve pain, and joint/muscle aches. Frequent oral antibiotics have become a safety net and some patients have needed a PICC line, which is an implanted catheter, to have a consistent flow of IV antibiotics over a period of a month or more.

 

So, why should you care? Both rural and urban areas are at high risk of tick-borne diseases and some feel Lymes is the number one epidemic we are facing today (FNH 2016). As mentioned before, humans are not the only ones at risk; pets and wildlife can contract tick-borne diseases and need treatment just as humans do. It is extremely important to take appropriate cautionary measures while enjoying the outdoors to prevent Lyme Disease and other zoonotic illnesses. For pets, you can purchase tick collars, prescription medicine from your vet, or liquid treatments to place on their skin. Always be sure to check your pets’ coat for ticks using a brush or your fingers and remove them appropriately if found. Consult your veterinarian if you need help removing the tick or if you feel your pet is displaying abnormal behavior. DEET and other insect repellents are useful for humans, as well as wearing long sleeve shirts and pants while outside, if able. If a tick is found, remove it properly, place it in a plastic baggie, and consult your physician as soon as possible to see if a treatment plan is needed. Although there is not anything that can be done regarding the global warming changes, which is one of the contributing factors to the increase in Lyme Disease, we can take precautionary measurements to help protect ourselves, our loved ones, and our pets from this debated chronic illness.

 



 
Below is a link to a symptom checklist to see if you are at risk of Lyme Disease:

https://www.lymedisease.org/lyme-disease-symptom-checklist/

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

References:


Fox News Health [FNH]. 2016. The lyme disease debate: can the condition be chronic?
<http://www.foxnews.com/health/2016/05/25/lyme-disease-debate-can-condition-be-chronic.html.> Accessed 5 April 2017.


Lyme Disease Advocacy, Education & Research [LDAER]. 2017. <https://www.lymedisease.org/lyme-basics/lyme-disease/chronic-lyme/.> Accessed 1 April 2017.


Pennsylvania Department of Health [PA DOH]. 2017. Lyme disease.
<http://www.health.pa.gov/My%20Health/Environmental%20Health/Environmental%20Public%20Health%20Tracking/Pages/Lyme-Disease.aspx#.WQC54J3D-Uk.> Accessed 16 April 2017.


Schmitt, Ben. 2016. Pennsylvania again leads nation in Lyme disease cases. Trib Total Media. 29 December 2016.

 

 

 

 

Pictures:


 



 

13 comments:

  1. Hello Sam,

    I found global warming very interesting as a culprit for the spread of Lyme Disease. I did not expect warmer months to cause in a spike of deer tick populations. This truly shows how big of an impact global warming has on our environment and lives. With both rural and urban areas Lyme Disease has become a growing threat and the severity Lyme Disease can have on our health we must keep an eye one. This article was an eye opener for me.


    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sam! Great post! You brought up some great points and I learned a lot! I find it very interesting that global warming has effect on ticks. But it makes sense. Warmer winters help the ticks. It is a hard and challenging problem. I know many friends who struggle with Lyme disease. Prevention is very important. I think another important idea to help manage ticks is by managing more wildlife that eat ticks. Like opossums and some species of birds. If we try to help manage and increase those populations, would they have a noticeable impact on tick populations?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sam, it is very true that Lymes disease can become a huge problem. What makes it scary is that the symptoms do not show up right away as you said. All that can be done is be very cautious and attempt in every way possible to prevent ticks. I agree with Brandon that managing wildlife to prevent ticks would be beneficial.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sam, I really enjoyed reading your post. There are a lot of good facts mentioned in this. Iwas suprised that the percentage of people who display a bulls eye rash is only 50 percent, I knew it wasn't on everyone but i Thought it was a much higher number. I use permytherin on all of my outdoor clothing. it is an insecticide that can last up to 6 weeks or 6 washings. Be careful when applying it to clothing because if you touch it with skin before it dries it becomes deactivated.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Momma Sam, this is a great read especially for someone like me that is alwasys out in the woods around all these ticks. It is so true that ticks are on the rise and becoming a bigger problem, i worry every year not only for myself but my pets. I wish there was a way to solve the tick problem for good but when these summers are so hot its hard to control its crazy out there in the woods. Just have to be careful and check yourself when you get home right away.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really enjoyed reading your article. I knew was in the top five states for Lyme Disease, but I didn’t know that it was the top state. It was really surprising that Pennsylvania alone recorded 12,092 cases of Lyme Disease. I didn’t know that the symptoms got as bad they did for Lyme Disease. I thought that I had Lyme Disease last summer because I developed a rash. It ended up only being a spider but I was really concerned because I had heard about some of the symptoms.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Sam, this was a great read! Especially since I am out in the woods whenever I get the chance too. I knew that not everyone doesn't show affects on getting Lyme disease, but I had no clue it was about 50/50 that showed a bulls eye. I have a friend that got Lyme disease while he was on a cruz, and now to think of it warmer weather could of had a huge affect. If we try and protect opossums they eat about 5,000 ticks per year, this could potential keep the problems down. Just getting this information out to the public, can help reduce the risk of Lyme disease.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Sam, I really enjoyed reading this post you had a lot of good information. I didn't know we had that high of a number of cases of Lyme's disease in Pennsylvania. I'm always outside and out in the woods and i hate always having to worry about checking myself for ticks and checking my dog for them. It would be nice if something could be done to get rid of ticks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sam, this was very interesting to read. Since I'm out in the field most of the time there have been time I have had ticks all over my pants, and I am always nervous about catching Lyme disease. I have even found ticks on myself just walking around my yard! I hope I never have to deal with lyme disease, since I have seen how it has affected people I know. I also hope they find a way to cure/prevent the disease instead of just treating Lyme disease.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great post Sam! This post really opened my eyes to how easy it is to get bit by a tick and not even know. I am always outside in the woods and down at my barn. I make sure I look every time I am outside to make sure I do not have any ticks on me. Lyme disease is very scary. I hope some day they find a cure for lyme disease because many people are affected by it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Sam! this is an awesome blog post that I enjoyed reading. That's crazy that Pennsylvania recorded over 12,ooo cases of Lyme Disease. I've actually had family members who've gotten this disease. I do agree that they are a major threat to humans and animals. I did not realize that without treatment it can affect the brain and heart which is scary to think about. I'm always out in the woods so I hope to never get a tick bite and get this disease. Now after reading your blog post it has given me more knowledge on what to look out for. I never forget to check myself for ticks every time I come home from the outdoors.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sam, I found it very interesting that climate change can be linked very closely with the rising cases of Lyme Disease. I think this a great topic to inform others of because it is something many people have. In our field, we are constantly running into the idea of ticks being around and the disease they carry. We are trained to check for ticks on us after returning from a day in the woods, but we may not always follow up with the idea of us contracting it. I knew there was a percentage of people who did not receive the "bulls eye" rash that can be a characteristic of Lymes Disease, but I did not realize how high that was.

    ReplyDelete